EvilLyrics forum
July 30, 2014, 09:12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Post To Webpage  (Read 15022 times)
AVB100

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 05:30:28 AM »

I noticed that the past hour didn't work about 30 minutes after I uploaded the new version.  It's been fixed.  Also, in previous versions it had been displaying one more song than it should have in the past hour, and skipping one song between the past hour and past 24 hours.  This has also been fixed.

The current search function is just a sort of beta version, it will be much more powerful in future versions.  Right now it's case-sensitive because it's just doing a very basic comparison to filenames.  I won't get into it, but basically, I have to make sure that the search method isn't too processing-intensive, or searches will be quite slow, especially for people like me with 1200+ songs archived.

Oh, and I'll add a message for when lyrics aren't found.  Be aware that there is a bug in EvilLyrics, too, if the titles aren't showing up at all, either.

Quote from: AVB100
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:46 am

Problem #1: Ampersands (&) in the title/lyrics need to be encoded (%26) so they don't break the string
Problem #2: Many lyrics just don't post at all

Quote from: Marek
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:04 pm

yes .. i checked sending and the problem was that it didn't encode characters while sending them, so when it contained some weird charactes it didn't post it ... it was fixed now, fix will be included in the next build. thanks for reporting.

I don't know what happened to Marek, but he hasn't posted here since then, and the last new build of EvilLyrics was released November 3rd, 2004.

Looks like you designed your own layout and stylesheet with the new version, too...if you care to share them, I would like to add your style to the next version.  I'd be happy to credit you.

My ambition in life is to look good on paper
EvilLyrics forum
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 05:30:28 AM »

Marek
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »

Problem #1: Ampersands (&) in the title/lyrics need to be encoded (%26) so they don't break the string
Problem #2: Many lyrics just don't post at all

I found that there is a limit when posting lyrics using current method (url) of about 2000 bytes, so longer lyrics probably don't get posted. This will be fixed. But could this be the main reason? Are the lyrics that didn't get posted longer than average in general?

EvilLyrics Developer
Jayphen

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 11:52:03 AM »

have you updated the files? it seems they are identical to what I already have..

I'd be happy to give you my new layout/stylesheet.. it is a bit messy though.

Jayphen

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »

I found that there is a limit when posting lyrics using current method (url) of about 2000 bytes, so longer lyrics probably don't get posted. This will be fixed. But could this be the main reason? Are the lyrics that didn't get posted longer than average in general?

gasp!

AVB100

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 10:57:31 PM »

Quote from: Jayphen
have you updated the files? it seems they are identical to what I already have..
Sorry, I've updated them for my site/newest unreleased version.  I'll make a release version later on today...

Quote from: Jayphen
I'd be happy to give you my new layout/stylesheet.. it is a bit messy though.
I can clean it up...

I'll check on this.  Nice to see you posting again, Marek.

Jayphen

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 04:01:03 AM »

what's your email address so I can email you a copy of my stylesheets etc?

Jayphen

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 05:14:55 AM »

I just downloaded 1.0.3, and it all seems to be working correctly. except one thing .. is it supposed to report what song is currently playing when evillyrics can't find the lyrics? ie: it says "lyrics not found" ? this is the feature I would like, if it is at all possible. I'll email you the stylesheet etc in about an hour, I have to go back to school Tongue

AVB100

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 05:59:35 AM »

Oh...that.  When EvilLyrics doesn't find lyrics, I don't think it triggers a post, otherwise it would show up.  There's nothing I can do to show songs that don't get passed to the script.  This would be more on Marek's end.

AVB100

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 07:34:43 AM »

Version 1.03
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/evilposter/EvilPoster_1.03.zip?download

Yeah, it seems like it is the longer files that don't get posted.  I discovered that the limit on my server allows about 8000 characters for lyrics in a GET request.  After a few conversions, I've found that several lyrics might be quite close to this limit.  Is it possible to use POST or some other method to pass the lyrics?

Marek
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »

i'm not sure but i think lyrics only get posted when they matched some of our site filters (that way we can be 90% sure that what got downloaded are lyrics). otherwise nothing is posted ... so what's your suggestion? to post only song name and empty string for lyrics? maybe ... it always have to be processed by server so then user will be able to decide what to do when he gets empty lyrics .. whether to ignore it or show only song name without lyrics ...

EvilLyrics Developer
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 01:42:47 PM »

hey, EvilPoster is quite impressive. Just installed it. Only problem I encountered was problem with writing permissions. It wasn't mentioned in readme.txt and it wasn't able neither to rename readme.txt nor creating directories etc. Maybe it should be mentioned in readme.

And as to security, i'm not very familiar with it .. is it ok to enable writing permissions?

And i was able to style it as i wanted, great .. but somwhow i wasn't able to change these items .. any ideas how to do it?
"Now playing:" on the top
"x songs have been archived"
and stearch form ... i mean textbox and submit button

otherwise nice job .. i will add it to addons section and faq

and in future releases, would you please change the link to evillyrics site to "http://www.evillabs.sk/evillyrics" (instead of index.php) ... thanks

EvilLyrics Developer
Jayphen

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 10:19:50 PM »

search form is in \components\searchform.php

x songs have been archived is in \components\searchform.php

now playing: is in \components\recentlyrics.php

Smiley

Jayphen

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 10:20:52 PM »

Quote from: AVB100
Oh...that.  When EvilLyrics doesn't find lyrics, I don't think it triggers a post, otherwise it would show up.  There's nothing I can do to show songs that don't get passed to the script.  This would be more on Marek's end.

Marek, is there any chance of you making it so that even if evillyrics doesn't find lyrics, it still triggers a post containing the song title, name, and perhaps "No lyrics found" as the lyrics?

AVB100

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 01:12:19 AM »

[quote="Marek"if clBPost To WebpageAVB100AVB100@Hotmail.com140.211.121.227   ite filters (that way we can be 90% sure that what got downloaded are lyrics). otherwise nothing is posted ... so what's your suggestion? to post only song name and empty string for lyrics? maybe ... it always have to be processed by server so then user will be able to decide what to do when he gets empty lyrics .. whether to ignore it or show only song name without lyrics ...[/quote]

I would suggest that it ALWAYS post what is being played, that way the decisions can be made by the end user.  Basically, my philosophy is options.    If you can pass some variable to denote whether/which filter was used along with whatever lyrics it may have, all the better.

Alternatively, if you wanted to provide such options through EvilLyrics, the effect would be the same.  It's just a matter of where the decision is made and which one of us programs the option.  Oh, and I've updated the link to EvilLyrics.

Jayphen was a bit off on the components

The "Now playing" heading is provided by the following line in /components/header.php
Code:
<? echo $page ?>

Be aware that the variable $page is passed to the script by earlier statements in /index.php  It makes a determination as to whether it is displaying current or past lyrics.  Then the actual lines that set the value are:
Code:
$page = 'Now Playing';
or
$page = 'Previously Played';

I wouldn't reccomend changing these values, as they are hard coded into the program, and may cause things to operate erratically, or not work at all

Anyways, the "__ songs have been archived" is from the following line (near the end) in /components/recentlyrics.php
Code:
echo "\n\n".count($fileList).' songs have been archived.';

And the search form is indeed in /components/searchform.php

Write permissions are exactly as safe as the scripts that use them.  I'm hardly an expert on security, so I can't make any guarantees that my script is not vulnerable, but I believe it to be secure.  If I hear about potential security holes, I'll update my script, and I'll continue to try to make it as safe as I know how.  Essentially, enabling write permissions is safe, as long as the scripts you run don't do anything devious with those permissions, or have security holes.

Jayphen

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 01:23:06 AM »

the actual text "now playing" is at the top of recentlyrics.php though. I edited it to remove the underline.

EvilLyrics forum

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  

Jump to: