EvilLyrics forum
May 26, 2019, 11:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: missing dll file  (Read 7303 times)
old lady
« on: April 04, 2004, 04:56:41 AM »

The install goes fine but it won't start up. Says it is can find a dll file. MSVBVM60.DLL

Is there an earlier version available for download?
EvilLyrics forum
« on: April 04, 2004, 04:56:41 AM »

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 08:36:55 AM »

just d/l the Visual Basic 6.0 Runtimes...

anyway - I would wait for the return of a new dev. release, since the last had probably too many problems and gone offline... shocked
StLucifer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:17:16 PM »

a friends of mine have had the same error, at the end of the installation it says that MSVBVM60.DLL can't be found and el doesn't start (i'm talking about the revision 121)

[ Save Soy - Eat a Vegan ]
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 06:11:54 PM »

Quote from: StLucifer
a friends of mine have had the same error, at the end of the installation it says that MSVBVM60.DLL can't be found and el doesn't start (i'm talking about the revision 121)

there was a bug with overwriting MSCOMCTL.OCX ... but itstaller doesn't touch MSVBVBVM60.dll .... it only checks if VB runtimes are present and if not it offers you to download and install them.

EvilLyrics Developer
StLucifer

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 07:58:52 PM »

so el doesn't need of MSVBVM60.DLL? maybe i've noticed this error some times ago, but i havn't payed attention, i've closed winamp and hit retry ...  but, hum, we're talking about the same problem? Tongue

Marek
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 08:09:34 PM »

so el doesn't need of MSVBVM60.DLL? maybe i've noticed this error some times ago, but i havn't payed attention, i've closed winamp and hit retry ...  but, hum, we're talking about the same problem? Tongue

i'm not sure if we're talking about same problem ... i'm just saying that none of 121 and 122 builds touched anything related with mentioned library. so if there is such a bug it should occur also with other builds of EvilLyrics ... also with last official version 6 .. am i right?

EvilLyrics Developer
StLucifer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »

i've told it to my friend, she've tried, and yes, same problem with the official build 6

Marek
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 08:43:35 PM »

i've told it to my friend, she've tried, and yes, same problem with the official build 6

good, then it shouldn't be related to the last bug. the file you mention is part of VB runtimes. I think you friend just doesn't have runtimes correctly installed (or not at all).

Try installing from here, it should help
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=28337&area=top&ordinal=23

EvilLyrics Developer
StLucifer

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 09:03:39 PM »

right, tomorrow (maybe) we will try

you can do anything to alert user who hasn't vbruntimes installed ? for a newbie it's quite hard to find out what to do when this kind of error pop-up

cheers

old lady

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 04:13:17 AM »

I went to microsoft & downloaded the file.  It's working fine now.   Cheesy

Thanks,
  The Old Lady
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 09:39:24 PM »

right, tomorrow (maybe) we will try

you can do anything to alert user who hasn't vbruntimes installed ? for a newbie it's quite hard to find out what to do when this kind of error pop-up

cheers

actaully installer was looking for one file that is included in vb runtimes. if found, it assumed that vb runtimes are installed. but it seems this file already is present on some computers that actually don't have runtimes installed. so we changed file used for VB-Runtimes detection. thanks

proper behavior is that installer checks for runtimes and if not present it offers you to download and install them (within installer itself)

EvilLyrics Developer
Anonymous
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »

proper behavior i w/Ys@missing dll file   Anonymous192.117.245.1074ers you to download and install them (within installer itself)

Yep - "proper behaviour is...it offers you to download..."
Currently your installer dialed the net on its own free will (to d/l mswinsock.OCX or something...can't tell - the whole process was running quickly in front of my eyes w/o my ability to protest... cheesy )

That auto-connect also happens at program startup...would be nice to have a box like:
EvilLyrics needs to go on-line, would it be OK to BURST-IN with the automatic connection dialog in your face, hang up your sister on the main line (or at least cause her major ear-problems by some analog orchestra), pump-up your monthly bill to your ISP and telephony company, and retrieve relevant information?
If you grasp my drift...

BTW, I've disabled feedback sending, so why is your program so eager to connect on startup even when winamp is not even in background ? shocked
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »

[quote="Anonymous&qoy/s@missing dll fileMarekevillabs@zoznam.sk 217.75.73.34\present it offers you to download and install them (within installer itself)[/quote]

Yep - "proper behaviour is...it offers you to download..."
Currently your installer dialed the net on its own free will (to d/l mswinsock.OCX or something...can't tell - the whole process was running quickly in front of my eyes w/o my ability to protest... cheesy )

That auto-connect also happens at program startup...would be nice to have a box like:
EvilLyrics needs to go on-line, would it be OK to BURST-IN with the automatic connection dialog in your face, hang up your sister on the main line (or at least cause her major ear-problems by some analog orchestra), pump-up your monthly bill to your ISP and telephony company, and retrieve relevant information?
If you grasp my drift...

BTW, I've disabled feedback sending, so why is your program so eager to connect on startup even when winamp is not even in background ? shocked[/quote]

as stated on our front page, EvilLyrics requires internet connection. I'm sorry for your sister but if you set your modem so it dials automatically, you may expect something like this from program which 100% relies on internet. If EvilLyrics popped out a message box everytime it tries want's to connect to internet i guess it would be quite annoying for people who are permamently connected.

yes ..EL offer you to download VB runtimes as they are pretty large (about 4mb i guess) but doesn't alert about next two ocx files which are not part of vb runtimes. decription of main sectuion of the installer states that it might require internet connection.

as to connecting on startup, it has nothing to do with anonymous statistics. on startup it downloads filtering file without which EL is completely unusable. this is updated quite frequently and needs to be download as often as possible.

in case you don't have internet connection, i recommend not using EvilLyrics

EvilLyrics Developer
Anonymous
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 06:26:27 PM »

Hi...seems like I touched a nerve...Sorry Marek!  embarassed
Your program is very nice, and that sister part was a joke of course.

Nevertheless, I cannot agree with you about the uselessness of EL if I don't have [a permanent] internet connection: what's the cache for? (yeah yeah, I read the FAQ - good thinking BTW, and I agree) After all my playlist's lyrics have been d/l'ed, I'd thought it would be nice to have 'em handy off-line too.

I don't mean to upset you, it's your program and you can do whatever you want with it - just my opinion!
 Cheesy
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 04:32:44 PM »

[quote="Anonymous&qo/bu@missing dll fileMarekevillabs@zoznam.sk 217.75.73.34gram is very nice, and that sister part was a joke of course.

Nevertheless, I cannot agree with you about the uselessness of EL if I don't have [a permanent] internet connection: what's the cache for? (yeah yeah, I read the FAQ - good thinking BTW, and I agree) After all my playlist's lyrics have been d/l'ed, I'd thought it would be nice to have 'em handy off-line too.

I don't mean to upset you, it's your program and you can do whatever you want with it - just my opinion!
 Cheesy[/quote]

well .. version which will be released this evening will have offline mode. it can be changed by clicking on online/offline icon in the statusbar. it is set to online by default (so first time you run it it will dial anyway). i couldn't test it properly as i was unable to make my modem dial automatically. but i ran LAN monitor and it didn't seem to send any data when turned to offline mode.

if you can, please test it and let me know if it works for you, as this should be the last development build before official release. thanks.

EvilLyrics Developer
EvilLyrics forum

Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  

Jump to: