EvilLyrics forum
August 05, 2020, 03:13:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Can EvilL be used to view customized .txt files 4album info?  (Read 4312 times)
Maxmli

« on: November 11, 2004, 12:33:39 AM »

I'd like to set up my mp3s so that there is a .txt file in each album folder, and whenever I'm playing a song within that folder, the .txt file will be displayed.  That way you can create your own custom album info.

It seems to be Evillyrics already works in this way, except that it looks for a .txt file for each SONG that is playing.  Is there a way to get it to display a txt file for each ALBUM?

Thanks for your support,
Maxmli
EvilLyrics forum
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:33:39 AM »

Marek
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 05:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Maxmli
I'd like to set up my mp3s so that there is a .txt file in each album folder, and whenever I'm playing a song within that folder, the .txt file will be displayed.  That way you can create your own custom album info.

It seems to be Evillyrics already works in this way, except that it looks for a .txt file for each SONG that is playing.  Is there a way to get it to display a txt file for each ALBUM?

Thanks for your support,
Maxmli

easiest way you could do this would be change the title formatting in your player so all the tags other than album info are in the brackets (evillyrics ignores everything in brackets) ... so in your winamp they would show up for example as

{ artist name - song name - } album name

check our player faq to see how to change title formatting in various players

EvilLyrics Developer
Maxmli

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:13:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply!
I tried setting Winamp so it displays:

(Artist - Title) Album

but it doesn't quite work yet.  For instance, if I play a song from the album "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes, Evil will start looking online for a song or file of the same name (which it obviously won't find).  However, if I make a text file called "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and put it in the 'T' folder of the Evil directory, shouldn't Evil find it?  It doesn't seem to.

Any ideas?  Or am I doing something wrong?
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 09:46:57 AM »

Thanks for the reply!
I tried setting Winamp so it displays:

(Artist - Title) Album

but it doesn't quite work yet.  For instance, if I play a song from the album "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes, Evil will start looking online for a song or file of the same name (which it obviously won't find).  However, if I make a text file called "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and put it in the 'T' folder of the Evil directory, shouldn't Evil find it?  It doesn't seem to.

Any ideas?  Or am I doing something wrong?

You're right ... this way EL is unable to divide song info into artist and song part (which it always assumes is separated by a dash) so it puts these lyrics into "general" folder named "_". So if you put this file into this folder, it should show in evillyrics when you play any song from the album

EvilLyrics Developer
Maxmli

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:25:51 PM »

You're right - if I put a file in the "_" folder, Evil will use that.  However...sometimes Evil needs a "_" (hard space) before the name of the album, and sometimes not.  Like so:
"_Different Trains"
"The Complete Cars"

Ideas why?

Thanks!
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:36:42 PM »

You're right - if I put a file in the "_" folder, Evil will use that.  However...sometimes Evil needs a "_" (hard space) before the name of the album, and sometimes not.  Like so:
"_Different Trains"
"The Complete Cars"

Ideas why?

Thanks!

i'm not sure .. but it looks like a bug ... maybe for now try not entering space between closing bracket and album tag ... and use curly brackets .. like
{artist - song}album
... but i'm not sure what's going to happen to songs that have no album tag

EvilLyrics Developer
Maxmli

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 04:03:57 PM »

That tip seems to work so far!  Thanks.  I suppose this system should work as a temporary fix, although I'm still going to look for a plugin that will read and display any .txt files that reside in the folder that contains a currently playing song.  With this 'Evil Lyrics' way, I'll run into problems whenever I have a collection that includes two albums of the same name  (I can think of three bands with a 'White Album', for instance.)

Thanks for your help - and if anyone can think of a plugin that will do the trick, let me know!

Maxmli
EvilLyrics forum

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: