EvilLyrics forum
February 24, 2020, 10:06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 6738 times)

« on: May 20, 2005, 07:08:55 PM »

As I understand it, EvilLyrics does a google (or similar) search for the lyrics and then downloads the contents from pages it recognizes.

There should be no reason for all existing copies to suddenly stop working, which means there should also be no reason for EvilLyrics to contact your server.

The only reasons I can see why it would suddenly "stop working" with no warning is if Google changed their page format or something like that. Or perhaps there's a legal issue.

I'd like some more technical details, please.
EvilLyrics forum
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:08:55 PM »

MADDSNIPER

gfg
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »

o well, hopefully be fixed soon, i know im missinf evillyrics already
fatboyjim

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »

The reason for not giving out technical details means releasing them would open a large security hole Tongue

I've got no idea what the problem could be

Jim
ELrats

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:41:50 AM »

Your thought provoking post, Avatar-x, forced me to register.

You're absolutely right. What *is* the use of contacting EL server anyway? Don't you think there's something fishy going on here?
I suspect a sneaky, very sneaky backdoor. That bypasses your firewall(FWB) using injection or any other of those rootkit techniques.
That is the only reason they went quite on this.
Pulled back(No support) for older versions and released a new one, perhaps with a new engine.
No reasons provided.
Your topic totally ignored.

Why?

Let's code a similar, open source, no hidden sh*t program, that uses google to search, and doesn't listen for certain type of udp packets, that provide a connect back shell..

Let's see if the admin delete's this post.
Marek
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 01:05:10 AM »

[quote="ELrats"] JaB*EvilLyrics not able to download new lyricsMarekevillabs@zoznam.sk 217.75.73.34hat *is* the use of contacting EL server anyway? Don't you think there's something fishy going on here?
I suspect a sneaky, very sneaky backdoor. That bypasses your firewall(FWB) using injection or any other of those rootkit techniques.
That is the only reason they went quite on this.
Pulled back(No support) for older versions and released a new one, perhaps with a new engine.
No reasons provided.
Your topic totally ignored.

Why?

Let's code a similar, open source, no hidden sh*t program, that uses google to search, and doesn't listen for certain type of udp packets, that provide a connect back shell..

Let's see if the admin delete's this post.[/quote]

elrats: yes sure, there's big conspiracy behind this ... your computer is going to blow off tommorrow .. i recommend staying away from home ... and reading slashdot less ...

avatar-x: yes, it was search engine related ... as you know ... we parse search engines ... and this was hard coded within the application ... so if anything "beyond our control" changes ... there's no other option than update the application itself .. i just didn't find it "suitable" to put a big banner about this on the front page ...

if i wanted to create "sneaky, very sneaky backdoors" i would probably find some easier way than developing freeware application for 2 years. Thanks for appreciation. Sure, go ahead and develop your open source application so that people can stop using this sh*t

EvilLyrics Developer
ELrats

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:16:19 AM »

Well, it's about time.

Glad my post brought you out from the shadows with some explanation.
AVB100

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 01:21:16 AM »

Quote from: Marek
there's big conspiracy behind this ...
Why else call it EvilLyrics?

But seriously, ELrats, you give the rest of us freeloaders a bad name by being ungrateful.  If you have a legitimate reason to believe that the software is malicious, by all means share, otherwise, take some time to sober up and start using Minilyrics or something.

As for me, I'm happy that there's people out there who develop free software, and I'd like to thank Marek, Felipin-Sioux and everyone else who has helped to develop EvilLyrics.

My ambition in life is to look good on paper

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:15:07 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, Marek Smiley

-av
EvilLyrics forum

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: