EvilLyrics forum
October 18, 2017, 11:58:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Youtube and Evillyrics  (Read 7429 times)
youtubeisuseless

« on: April 01, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »

How in the world do you remove YouTube as a search engine from EvilLyrics or at least make it stop searching a video site for lyrics?
EvilLyrics forum
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »

Ianto
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »

I would love an answer on that one.. I get youtube gibberish on 60%-70% nowadays. (updating the filters doesn't help unfortunately)
ClintJCL

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »

the point of evillyrics is to find lyrics, and it always makes a best effort.

sometimes people post songs on youtube, and put lyrics as a comment. thus it is logical to check it out.

if pushing the forward arrow doesn't find your lyrics, then the youtube junk you describe was actually the closest thing to what you want. Evillyrics is not a human being and can't actually read the lyrics and your mind and know if it's wh at you want.

-Clint
youtubeisuseless

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:27:47 PM »

Simplifying the programs abilities in the manner you have described have made this program no more worth than a google search.  Which BTW is how I find most lyrics after evillyrics gets bogged with youtube garbage.  Instead of making youtube a proprietary search engine, like what I see it do, the next logical step would be a search at a lyrics database instead of youtube.  If it's a matter of funding the project then I understand, loosely, on the approach.  But a site designed for video shouldn't even be in a search for music lyrics.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that troll forums and trash programs they have never used.  I just noticed when I updated a friends system that EL had updated so I tried it at home and got very angry with a program I have used for quite some time now.
Groo_V

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »

sometimes people post songs on youtube, and put lyrics as a comment. thus it is logical to check it out.

if pushing the forward arrow doesn't find your lyrics, then the youtube junk you describe was actually the closest thing to what you want. Evillyrics is not a human being and can't actually read the lyrics and your mind and know if it's wh at you want.

the thing is, it searches youtube first...only if there's no video for the song it can find lyrics. and you're wrong, most of the song videos on youtube doesn't feature lyrics
is there anyway to make EvilLyrics stop searching useless sites? maybe make a feature that let us handle it manually?
ToyHammer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »

I'd love to know what the ratio is of "useful" youtube lyrics vs. useless youtube junk. Because so far for me (just recently downloaded the app) it has given me ZERO useful lyrics and seems to appear quite frequently ahead of searches that actually yield pertinent results.

Obviously I'd love for this application to stop searching youtube as well.
gollywog

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:18:49 PM »

I've not received any useful lyrics from Youtube as yet. Just junk in the form of user comments.

Unfortunately (from the perspective of an EL user) of late, most of the links on the first page of a Google SERP for song keyword searches are Youtube URLs.

There should be an option to make EL skip certain domains completely in it's searches, so that those who don't want results from Youtube can filter them out.
derf_1957

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »

I see everyone else is having the same Youtube problems, Evillyrics used to be one of the best.  I believe the problem is in the search engine and is as always a money thing.  Like most every thing, the ones that pay the most bucks get the most hits.

Peace to You and Yours
anonimo1084

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07:19 PM »

I registered just to post here.
Youtube crap i haven't got a single lyrics right, after 20 tries, for god's sake how do i remove youtube, the filters doesnt work.
It might be logical but in practice is a terrible idea.
zan5hin

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 06:05:34 AM »

Hi, just installed Evillyrics today after cleaning up all my music and adding artwork for my new iPhone.  Only thing missing was lyrics!

So yeah, I hit this problem where I was getting youtube junk in a lot of results.  huh huh I wasn't satisfied with this so a bit of lateral thinking allowed me to come up with a solution. grin

The problem is that in google searches these days, youtube videos show up at the top right?  So EvilLyrics sees this and thinks, ok, Youtube is a winner, when in fact we all know it's a FAIL. angry

You probably also know that google searches can be limited to a domain by going "keyword" site:domain.com as a search string, and also that a minus will show results without a certain word.  Well what do you know, if you put a minus before site:domain.com, it will exclude results from that domain! Amazing, I know.

So here is the solution:

1. Go into the settings of EvilLyrics
2. Under General, next to "Lyrics" keyword there is a box with the word "lyrics" in there (without quotes)
2a. I like to see what's happening, so I ticked "Show in main windows"
3.  Replace the word "lyrics" with "lyrics -site:youtube.com"

So far I've only lyricized(?) about 6 songs, but two of those were corrupted by youtube (M.I.A. - Paper Planes, Amanda Palmer - Ampersands), and after adding -site:youtube.com and hitting the green "Try next result" arrow icon, the proper lyrics came up immediately!

So to summarise, I fixed the problem people have been whinging about for over 12 months, in about 3 minutes.

You can start thanking me now, and do a little dance for me, with accompanying karaoke   afro

6 songs down, 9958 to go................
zormar

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »

You can start thanking me now, and do a little dance for me, with accompanying karaoke   afro

6 songs down, 9958 to go................

You are BAD MF!!! Cheesy Tnx a lot! Smiley

Now I', finally getting NORMAL RESULTS. Fuckin youtoube, i was getting a lot of garbage (and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER lyrics, for about 2000 songs!!). For some songs I even COULDNT get any lyrics because STUPID YOUTUBE was always as result :S.

It's sad when author dont want to listen its users and force some stupid functions like YT search :S.

Btw, great program EL, tnx for it! Smiley

EDIT: fuck, YT is here again... :S Even if I have results in other sites, YT forces itstelf first with its gargabe. Is there any other program like EL?
cutedear

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »

ITs good to view videos...
EvilLyrics forum

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: